Sunday, November 20, 2011

Beautiful iPhone Protection (for Cheap!)

     I've been through a few different methods of protection for my Verizon iPhone 4 and I finally found the one I'm sticking with. Originally I bought a ZAGG invisibleSHIELD because I had one for my 2nd generation iPod Touch and loved it. Unfortunately, the iPhone model was not of the same quality as the old protectors. As my phone became hot from being in my pocket next to my body, the screen protector would lose its grip and slide off the phone and become covered in pocket fuzz. Essentially this product was trash. Afterwards, I bought a Wrangler Case by IvySkin and, despite its large size, it really impressed me. It has a built-in piece of glass that covers the screen. At first I really liked liked the design and supreme protection. Over time, the glass insert became loose and would slide around within the case. Also, the bulkiness of the case would prevent finger taps on the bottom and sides of the screen. After a while, I became fed up with it and wanted something new.

     My girlfriend had told me about the elago S4 Slim Fit Case for iPhone 4 (Glossy, Piano Black) and I was impressed. I really liked how its near impossible to tell that there's even a case on the phone. It looks like it was designed by Apple and is very simple to put on and take off. Plus it's only $10! The only thing I'm put off by is that my particular model is the high gloss coating model so that it's very fingerprint prone and very slippery on all materials. I plan on buying one of the matte models soon to see if I like it any better (like this model for instance: elago S4 Slim Fit Case for iPhone 4 (Matte, SF Gray)).

     Keep in mind that the elago cases do not include screen protectors (although they do include a protector for the Apple logo on the back of the phone because it is open to the environment). I would definitely recommend the splash Masque Clear Screen Protector for iPhone 4 to buy with it. It is a very smooth material so it doesn't feel any different than the glass alone. A three pack of cases isn't bad for $11. I did have trouble installing mine the first time so here's a fantastic tip to flawlessly apply the screen protector -- apply it in a humid bathroom. That's right, go into your bathroom and turn the hot water on until the mirrors fog up. Why you ask? Well, when the air is humid there is very little dust floating around. Clean the screen very well with the included cleaning cloth and apply the screen protector (it's just like a sticker) without worries of dust getting between the screen and protector. I was amazed by how well this worked. I had never imagined to do this before but it's simple and effective.

Simple, yet sexy

Leave a comment if you've had any experience with the above cases or have your own personal favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment